[postgis] The Next Level

Timothy H. Keitt tklistaddr at keittlab.bio.sunysb.edu
Fri Jul 27 06:44:38 PDT 2001

A couple of comments:

I definitely hope to see postgis proceed to the next level.

All the items you  listed would be great to have.  High on my list would
be native support for geodetic coordinates.  Also, packaging for Debian
would be great (I might help  out here).  I've been experimenting with
generating some test data sets for postgis, which would be nice to
include in the distribution.  I've converted Paul Wessel's global
coastline data to postgis format (go to
http://keittlab.bio.sunysb.edu/download/ for psql dumps).  I work a lot
with R (http://www.r-project.org/) and have written a postgresql query
interface.  I was experimenting yesterday with querying postgis geometry
types from the database and plotting the polygons in R.  This could be a
quick and simple front end for visualizing postgis data (plus includes
extensive statistical functions for data analysis).

In terms of funding, have you approached Great Bridge and Red Hat?  They
have commercial postgresql distributions.  They might be willing to
support postgis development, especially if users request the features.
 Perhaps we could canvas them a bit.  Having cvs access via sourceforge
or equivalent might also attract additional volunteer developers.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Timothy H. Keitt