[postgis-users] Newbie: Windows Install Help

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Fri Jun 21 13:38:49 PDT 2002

That's the spirit Chip - glad to see you are getting your hand dirty :)
When you select to install postgresql via cygwin setup, I think you need to
check the "SRC" box in the setup window, or else it won't put the sources
on your machine.  I haven't done this myself, so I'm not sure where they
put it - perhaps in /usr/src somewhere? or in the temp folder you define
during cygwin setup.

Hope that helps.  Let me know how it goes.

Tyler

|---------+------------------------------------------->
|         |           "Hankley, Chip"                 |
|         |           <Chip.Hankley at GASAI.Com>        |
|         |           Sent by:                        |
|         |           postgis-users-admin at postgis.refr|
|         |           actions.net                     |
|         |                                           |
|         |                                           |
|         |           06/21/2002 12:15 PM             |
|         |           Please respond to postgis-users |
|         |                                           |
|---------+------------------------------------------->
  |       To:       "PostGIS (E-mail)" <postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net>                                                   |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Fax to:                                                                                                                |
  |       Subject:  [postgis-users] Newbie: Windows Install Help                                                                 |

OK, I'm a windows person, my *NIX knowledge is pretty limited (but I'm
trying to get better...). I'd like to do some experimenting with PostGIS /
MapServer, but have gotten lost on, well, something like step 2.

I downloaded and installed Cygwin. This seemed to go OK. I modified the
default installation to install PostgreSQL (I believe 7.2.1).

Following the instructions in
C:\cygwin\usr\doc\Cygwin\postgresql-7.2.1.README, I downloaded and
installed
the cygipc package, and followed the instructions on

http://www3.us.postgresql.org/docs/faq-mswin.html

I then completed the instructions in the above mentioned README file for a
basic Cygwin PostgreSQL installation... which seemed to go fine.

I have downloaded the PostGIS tarball.

Here's the problem. I don't see a 'contrib' directory anywhere under my
CYGWIN directory. I assume that this would be somewhere in the PostgreSQL
source... however, since PostgreSQL came as part of my Cygwin installation,
I don't have the source.

So... the Cygwin instructions say "don't compile PostgreSQL if you don't
have to"... do I have to? What should I do now?

TIA!

Chip Hankley