[postgis-users] Re: Ugly Library Naming Realization

Giuseppe Sacco eppesuig at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Jun 30 05:40:40 PDT 2002

Il Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 09:08:59AM -0700, Paul Ramsey ha scritto:
> I was just pondering a 0.7.2 release, and thinking favourably about the
> fact that since the library would not change numbering, it would be a
> very easy upgrade (just copy over the old .so file). It was at that
> point that I realized that we had put our users through several
> unnecessary upgrades via our arbitrary linking of the library numbering
> scheme to our version numbering scheme.
[...]

I think that the library version is a problem, but we shouldn't care
about it until 1.0 is released. From that point on I suggest to link
against libpostgis.1 that should be a link to the actual library, i.e.
libpostgis-1.0.3. Then change the major number only on binary incompatible
versions or (better) for releases with new features. The minor number
could be used for bug fixing.

I believe that this is the normal rule for libraries.

Bye,
Giuseppe