[postgis] GEOMETRY_COLUMNS table

Doug Nebert dn at mapcontext.com
Tue Mar 19 14:40:13 PST 2002

John Reid wrote:

> Is this schema based on the ISO metadata standard (DIS 19115)?  I seem
> to recall that it included optional(?) elements for annotations etc.
>  I'm currently having a go at producing a load file for catalogs based
> on 19115 as part of a demo dataset, concentrating on the mapping to the
> ANZLIC metadata elements.  Be a couple of weeks before I've worked out
> if I can do it or not though.

No, the person before used 'metadata; in a different sense. These are parameters
more associated with OGC Simple Features than FGDC or ISO or ANZLIC
metadata, though a few things may have corollaries. The mapserver 3.5 product
supports in-line 'light' metadata, again in support of feeding the getCapabilities
service metadata but does not support 'data' metadata, or in other words does
not describe data well. That is the unfortunate state of the art in OGC registry
circles these days. Data and services don't share their descriptions well...

Doug.

> cheers,
> John
>
> Nicolas Ribot wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >To give an opinion concerning this subject, we (at SCOT, a french company for
> >Earth Observation) have decided to separate the storage of data from the storage
> >of graphical/layout information.
> >
> >As we mainly (well, exclusively !) use MapServer to render our geographic data,
> >we implemented a DB schema representing a MapServer mapfile.
> >
> >A php-based tool allows us to load a mapfile into the DB, modify it graphically
> >(adding layers, choosing layers representation, layer order, symbols, etc.) and
> >then dump it as a file to be accessed by our applications.
> >
> >By separating the data from the display, we can reuse display information (layer
> >representation, symbols) from one application to another. (kind of library of
> >reusable components...).
> >This development is not finished yet, we try to take some time to work on it.
> >
> >Another solution I used some times ago was to add some extra columns to the
> >OpenGIS metadata tables (geometry_columns, spatial_ref_sys, etc...): we put in
> >these columns information that was relevant to our applications, (without
> >changing the ogis-defined columns, of course).
> >Our databases were still OpenGIS compliant (that is, queriable by everyone), but
> >also contains useful information for us (for example, we had developed a
> >file-based r-tree index, and each indexed geographic table had an entry in a
> >column of the geometry_column table)
> >
> >Nico
> >

> >>I would be interested in people's opinions. Once you start down this
> >>road, the complexities never end. Prefered fill and outline colors,
> >>scale preferences, full descriptive names. Is the storage of this
> >>information necessarily a part of the backend data store, or should it
> >>be part of the rendering application solely? The only benefit to pushing
> >>it back into the database is that applications can then share rendering
> >>specifications: to make my roads blue on both desktop and web apps, I
> >>change it once in the database.

> --
> john reid                                    e-mail: jgreid at uow.edu.au
> technical officer                               building 41, room G02A
> school of geosciences                          phone: +61 02 4221 3963
> university of wollongong                         fax: +61 02 4221 4250
> nsw  2522  australia
>
> uproot your questions from their ground and the dangling roots will be
> seen.  more questions!
>                                                        -mentat zensufi
>
> apply standard disclaimers as desired...

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/nuyOHD/7.PDAA/yigFAA/PhFolB/TM