[postgis-users] Who is using PostGIS and how?

Searle Ross Ross.Searle at nrm.qld.gov.au
Tue Mar 26 21:51:10 PST 2002

Paul,

Sorry about the delay getting back to you.

We are using PostGIS for an application designed to deliver large
amounts of natural resource information via a mapserver interface. In
Queensland our state government has legislation controlling the clearing
of trees. If a landholder wishes to clear trees he/she has to apply for
a permit. A permit will only be issued if the clearing does not cause
environmental degradation. The state government has the role of
assessing these permits. To do this officers need access to a broad
range of datasets all generally held in GIS form. The mapserver/PostGIS
application allows users to quickly search for a parcel of land and
bring up all the relevant information in a standard format.

This application was only made possible thanks to PostGIS. The huge size
of the GIS data sets involved (up to 600 Mb per coverage) meant that a
mapserver application using shapefiles would have been far too slow or
complicated if we had gone down the tiling road. The indexing of both
the spatial and textual data increased response times to very acceptable
levels. Storing the data in a RDBMS also has many advantages for data
management as well as the ability to do powerful, flexible querying on
the fly.

Some background info
Hardware : Sun single 143mHz CPU running Solaris
Database size : approx 2.5 Gig
Cadastral layer contains approx 1.6 million parcels
Typical redraw response time : 5 - 10 secs
Number of users : approx 40
Number of hits per day : approx 30

Sorry I can't let you have a look at it but it is behind our firewall,
so I have included a couple of piccies to help demonstrate what it does

Regards
Ross