[postgis-users] Question on transform.

Andy Turk andy at streetlight.com
Wed Oct 2 16:32:20 PDT 2002

On Wednesday 02 October 2002 04:15 pm, Luis Mota wrote:
> Hi.
>
> As far as I know, I have proj4 installed... But it was a difficult
> installation, therefore I'm not too sure... I think it is installed, since:
> - I have a ' proj4text ' column on the spatial_ref_sys table and
> - a query like select transform(geomfromtext('POINT(100000
> 150000)',20790),102165) results in POINT(699252.037333454
> -120288.63384568). These are two PROJCS's.
>
> Does this mean it is correctly installed? How can I verify this?
>
> I would anyway like to ask the Proj4 people if this works... But I don't
> know how their SW is being used by PostGIS... Is there a specific
> function that you use? Which one? Or are the Proj4 people familiar to
> PostGIS?
>
> Thanks, bye, Luís

One thing you can try is running one of the Proj.4 programs on the machine
that hosts your database. I.e., if you can run a program called 'cs2cs' and
the shell doesn't complain about an unknown program, then someone has
installed Proj.4 on that machine--a good sign. The next step is to make sure
that the database itself has access to the library. The way that I actually
verify this is to attempt to transform points, and if they come back
unchanged, then I assume that the Proj.4 library isn't there.

You can also check the log file for postgres. See if there are any errors that
have to do with libproj.so.0 or libproj.so.0.3.1.