[postgis-users] shp2pgsql problem

Heitzso heitzso at growthmodels.com
Mon Jun 16 12:37:22 PDT 2003

I have a large shape file with several layers of data
for census 2000 block level information for one state.
This shape file is smoothly imported by current stable
GRASS code.  I can run shp2pgsql against this shape file
and generate the sql statements to load the data w/o an
error being flagged.
    $ shp2pgsql -d blk2000_ga.shp ga_blk gis >h.tmp
The shp file is 100M, the dbf file is 160M.

But when I attempt to load the script into the postgresql/gis
dbms with
    psql -f h.tmp gis
it breaks with thousands of errors like:
    ERROR:  current transaction is aborted,
    queries ignored until end of transaction block
Afterwards, within psql I '\dt;' and see the new table
ga_blk but it is empty (has no rows).

Because GRASS imports the data w/o a problem I assume
the shape file is in reasonably good shape.

Suggestions?

Heitzso