[postgis-users] check constraint for geometry column

Robert W. Burgholzer rburgholzer at maptech-inc.com
Fri Jun 4 06:39:39 PDT 2004

List members,
I am using postgis 0.8.0, so if this is resolved in tthe latest version,
please forgive my ignorance.  I am exploring a transform on geom columns,
and find, as have some others, that it is a torturous process to reassign
your geometry column SRID, i.e., it can only be done by dropping and
re-adding the table.

I guess I would inquire as to the use of this constraint, is it truly
necessary? Is it part of an openGIS specification, or just something used
in the Postgis system as a check and balance? Does anyone have any feelings
about whether or not a simple "Warning" rather than a constraint would be
enough?

I realize of course, that I should just get off my rump and import my
tables with the proper SRID identified at the time of import, but just
thought I would inquire, I have a lot of data that would have to be
re-imported now that I am dealing with projections.

Thanks for your thoughts,

r.b.

Robert Burgholzer
Environmental Engineer