[postgis-users] (no subject)

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Fri Mar 5 09:36:41 PST 2004

> pgsql2shp -f shape_file -g the_geom gex_runtime sid_content_navi
> FATAL:  database "postgres" does not exist
>
> The database, gex_runtime, does in fact exist on port 5432, on this
> server. As does this table, with a column by that name, which is in
> the geometry_columns table.

Bizarre,  are you running this locally on the server or from another
machine?
I assume you are logged in as user "postgres" - it looks like the program
isn't recognizing the database parameter and is, by default, looking for a
database with the same name as the user.  I've seen that when running
"psql" but  not pgsql2shp - which I haven't really used much.  You may
want to try using ogr2ogr instead.  Let me know if you need more info
using it.