[postgis-users] Who is Using PostGIS?

Alexander Pucher pucher at atlas.gis.univie.ac.at
Mon Mar 8 04:39:58 PST 2004

Hi Paul,

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> It is that time of year again (conference time) so I am going to ask
> my annual question(s):
>
>    Who are you?

Alexander Pucher, representing the Institute of Geography and Regional
Research - Cartography and Geoinformation - at the University of Vienna,
Austria

>    What are you using PostGIS for?

Storing most of our geodata for a mixed cartography/GIS mapping
environment. We run several applications, backed up by PostGIS. These
includes a multinational atlas, cooperations with historians, geologists
as well as the educational field (e.g. http://www.gis.univie.ac.at/mymap/)

>    Why did you choose PostGIS?

Started with MySQL some years ago (first few applications were a mix of
geodata/shapefile-thematic data/MySQL). Soon, the demand for storage of
"real" geographic data was discovered. Along with this, we already
planned the migration from MySQL to PostgreSQL for several other reasons
than the geodata thing.

>    What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?

Performance!
Close integration with UMN MapServer and PHP/MapScript.
What makes me really happy are the faces of people involved in the
GIS/mapping field when you show them a running system built up of pure
Open-Source components!!

>    What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?

(Still) the general opinion towards open-Source software makes me
unhappy. At first sight, above mentioned folks are amazed by PostGIS,
when you tell them it's free, the old prejudices come up again. So, a
broader publicity and acceptance of PostGIS ("No, it's not Oracle
Spatial-Yes, it really works-No, it's not badly tested-Yes, it is
maintained.....) would be very helpful. Of course, this goes out to the
whole community!

Regards,
alex.