[postgis-users] Who is Using PostGIS?

Richard Taylor r.taylor at bcs.org.uk
Mon Mar 15 02:13:24 PST 2004

On Monday 08 March 2004 1:27 am, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> It is that time of year again (conference time) so I am going to ask my
> annual question(s):
>
>     Who are you?

Richard Taylor, Senior Analyst QinetiQ Ltd.

>     What are you using PostGIS for?

We use PostGIS to perform queries on geo referenced information as part of a
number of applications for various customers. We also use it for research
into geo referenced information mining.

We do most of our development using Python and I am the author of the GeoTypes
(http://people.initd.org/rjt/) type extensions for the Python Postgresql
library Psycopg (http://initd.org/software/initd/psycopg).

>     Why did you choose PostGIS?

1 - We already use Postgresql
2 - Initially we could not justify the expense of a commercial package for
researching a few ideas.
3 - Later we were convinced that PostGIS was reliable enough for our
applications.
4 - Support for standards reduces our long-term risks.

>     What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?

Close integration with the rest of Postgresql. Ease of installation, we use
Gentoo/Mandrake for development and RedHat/Mandrake for production.

Oh and the price of course.

>     What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?

Lack of a version number in the WKB/WKT protocol but I guess that is not a
PostGIS issue directly.

Jabber: RichardTaylor at jabber.org
PGPKey: http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA7DA9FD9
Key fingerprint = D051 A121 E7C3 485F 3C0E  1593 ED9E D868 A7DA 9FD9