[postgis-users] PostGIS hosting?

Stephen Frost sfrost at snowman.net
Tue Mar 23 11:19:12 PST 2004

* Darren Houston (dhouston at beyondcompliance.ca) wrote:
> Just a thought, but from what you said you wanted in a hoster, it might be
> more practical if you bought a server and just payed to have your server
> hosted at any established (local?) ISP. Else, you can try to find a fledgling
> hosting company that wouldn't mind going that extra mile to get new clients. I
> asked an acquaintance of mine, who hosts on Windows servers, if he new of
> anyone, but the answer was, "No, and what is PostGIS and GeoServer?". Anyone
> else have any "inside" contacts?

I tend to agree with you here, on pretty much all accounts.  As for
having an 'inside' contact- I'm the admin for a friend who runs a local
ISP that does hosting.  I'm not sure if he'd be interested, and there's
not all *that* much bandwidth available at the moment, so I'm not sure
it'd work there.  My guess is that he'd want it on a seperate server
anyway, so it'd have to justify that cost, esp. if the server is only
going to be used for one person.

Does anyone else have interest in this type of hosting arrangement?
What would people think of having 'common' datasets loaded in a public
area (such as the TIGER dataset)?

	Stephen