[postgis-users] Linux install

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Wed Apr 26 01:22:33 PDT 2006

Hi, Stephen,

Stephen Crawford wrote:

> Do you know if the rpms available at http://postgis.refractions.net/rpms
> include proj4 and GEOS?

Most PostGIS binary packages I've seen are compiled against proj4 and
GEOS and so depend on respective packages to be installed, but don't
include them.

The only exception I know is the Windows installer, because one can
neither expect those packages to preexist on that platform, nor has an
easy way of getting and installing them.

You could simply download the rpms, and try installing them using rpm
-i, and see what dependencies it complains about.

I don't know about Redhat, but on debian, I'd install the packages with
"dpkg --force-depends -i ", and afterwards run "apt-get --fix-broken
install" to fetch the dependencies.

HTH,
Markus