[postgis-users] why a longitude like 180 are not valid in WGS84 in postgis ?

Guido Lemoine guido.lemoine at jrc.it
Fri Nov 17 02:26:22 PST 2006

try POINT (158.93 -54.51)

Notation is in X Y = LON LAT! 158.93 is far beyond the North Pole :-)

GL

Norbert wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Can you explain to me why a point like POINT(-54.51 158.93) is not valid in wgs84 / srid 4326 in PostGIS and make a conflict "enforce_srid_coordinates" ?
>
>What's the error and solution ?
>
>thanks in advance,
>
>Norbert

Joint Research Centre, European Commission
Institute for the Protection and Security of the Citizen (IPSC)
Unit: Support to External Security
Via E. Fermi, 1 TP 267 Ispra 21020 (VA), Italy
Tel. +39 0332 786239 (direct line) Fax. +39 0332 785154
WWW: http://ses.jrc.it
Disclaimer:
Views expressed are those of the individual and do not represent the
views of the European Commission