[postgis-users] Problem with geos3.0

ValiSystem vali.system at free.fr
Fri Apr 20 10:44:15 PDT 2007

On 20 avr. 07, at 18:44, Stefan Hahmann wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have just installed geos3.0.0rc4 to test some new feature in it.
> After
> that i have recompiled mypostgis 1.2.1
>
> And now I am getting
>
> ERROR: could not load library "/usr/local/pgsql/lib/liblwgeom.so.1.2":
> libgeos-3.0.0rc4.so: cannot open shared object file: file or directory
> not found
>
> When just making a SELECT postgis_version()  (and btw when doing any
> spatial select)
>

> What went wrong? I appreciate any help, thanks in advance
>
> stefan

Postgresql is unable to load the libgeos-3.0.0rc4.so library because
it can't find in which folder it's located. The quickiest way to make
it work back is to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable
before starting postgresql.

The command line looks like :
$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:<path to directory where
libgeos-3.0.0rc4.so is located>
$ pg_ctl start

For my install, i needed to give proj4 location too.

For system wide configuration, you can add your libraries paths to /
etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig afterward (just once, not needed
after reboots).

If you don't have a /etc/ld.so.conf in your system, you've got an
example of what it looks like here : http://
archive.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs-museum/2.3.1/LFS-BOOK-2.3.1-HTML/
x2141.html