[postgis-users] Again: ERROR: function 60821C60 returned NULL

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Tue Aug 7 01:22:53 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 13:09 -0400, Burgholzer,Robert wrote:
> I am experiencing an error that I have seen in the archives with the
> title: “ERROR: function 60821C60 returned NULL”.  Any help would be
> appreciated.
>

> It seems that in the previous posts, a null geometry (or rather too
> many of them) was the cause. I, however, am experiencing it with NO
> NULL geoms, instead using points with lat/lon = 0.0.  That said, I
> have tried it several ways, one of which is with no nulls (usigng
> 0.0s), the others with the nulls.  All throw the error when trying to
> create a GIST index.
>

> My Data:
>
> creating points from DD lat/lon values, with the following:
>

> set the_geom = GeomFromText('POINT(' || "LAT_DEC" || ' ' || "LONG_DEC"
> || ')', 4326)
>
> where "LAT_DEC" is not null and "LAT_DEC" <> 0 and "LONG_DEC" is not
> null and "LONG_DEC" <> 0;
>

> Insuring that I have no null values with the following:
>
> update water_use_dd set the_geom = GeomFromText('POINT(0.0 0.0)',
> 4326)
>
> where the_geom is null;
>

> My system:
>
> Output of postgis_version():
>
> "1.1 USE_GEOS=1 USE_PROJ=1 USE_STATS=1"
>
> PostgreSQL 8.2
>
> Windows XP

Hi Robert,

Can you confirm which version of PostGIS you are using (SELECT
postgis_full_version())? I tried the following on a PostgreSQL
8.1/PostGIS 1.1.6 installation here and it worked for me:

CREATE TABLE test AS SELECT MakePoint(random(), random()) AS the_geom
FROM generate_series(1, 10000);
UPDATE test SET the_geom = GeomFromText('POINT(0.0 0.0)', 4326) WHERE
the_geom IS NULL;
CREATE INDEX test_index ON test USING gist (the_geom);

Can you provide a complete SQL script similar to above that will
reproduce the error on your system?

Many thanks,

Mark.

--