[postgis-users] Mac OS X regression failures - 13/35 (was no "coveredby" in liblwgeom.1.3.so")

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Aug 24 14:45:32 PDT 2007

Webb,

I finally got off my butt and worked thru those tests on my Mac.  All
OK on my end.  I'm using the release 1.3.1 source, but I didn't see
any major changes in the latest SVN that might have such effects.

So, I'm wondering how you built your PostGIS and Postgres. (and GEOS,
PROJ...)

- do you build GEOS and PROJ yourself or use binaries?

They're both pretty straightforward to compile on OSX.

- do you build your own Postgres or use binaries?

Also pretty easy to compile on OSX.

- what configure flags are you using for PostGIS?

Also simple.  But I do one patch (in two places).  PostGIS is
hardwired to include debug symbols.  For my binary release, I remove
the -g flag from lwgeom/makefile:CSTAR_FLAGS and loader/makefile/CFLAGS.

- kindof goes along with the questions about using prebuilt binaries
above - do you use Fink or Macports?  Even if you don't use either
for PostGIS or any of its dependencies.  Their versions of some of
the basic tools used in compiling may get used instead and interfere
with a smooth and successful build (even tho it may seem to have
sompleted successfully).

I can't remember exactly what it was, but someone once had trouble
with a basic tool like sed or ls.  Something about a GNU version in
Fink vs. a BSD version in OSX.  messed up the expected build process.

Fink/Macports add to your PATH, and may also fiddle with
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH.

They are good tools for Mac users who want to *use* common unix
software, but can create trouble when casually compiling other
software (whether or not you intend to use stuff from Fink/Macports
in said compilation), and sometimes even when *using* other unix
software.

On Aug 22, 2007, at 12:35 PM, Webb Sprague wrote:

> Here is my log file and a rerun of the regression.  Cheers, and let me
> know if there is anything else.
>
> Here is your request (seems to me that these should fail, but the
> regression test isn't checking for that correctly - maybe a mac thing
> or a funny version of sed or something?).  I don't see any server
> crashes at all:

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those
least suited to do it."

- A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy