[postgis-users] Re: [Geoserver-users] Time series in postGIS?

Andrea Aime aaime at openplans.org
Tue May 8 13:59:48 PDT 2007

Stephen Crawford ha scritto:
> All,
>
> I have a question on setting up a postGIS database for use with geoserver;
> please pardon the double-posting but I wasn't sure where I should send it.
>
> I have created quite a few postGIS/geoserver services already, but I haven't
> yet had a "dynamic" one like this.  I have a set of point locations for
> which data will be collected daily.  In a "normal" (non-spatial) database I
> would just have a table with columns for siteID,date,value where siteID and
> date make up the primary key. But to use with geoserver, it seems like I
> need to have a row for each location, where the columns are the date, like
> this:
> siteID,date_1,date_2,date_3,.......
>
> What's the best way to do this?  I plan to use a GetFeature WFS request with
> geoserver, and would like get all the dates/values back for each location so
> my client can "animate" through time.

Hum, I would model the database in normal form (as you described in the
first sample) and then build views joining the site and data table, and
register it against the geometry colums so that Geoserver can view
that as a table.
Then use a filter to show the situation at a given time. Hope this helps
Cheers
Andrea