[postgis-users] PostGIS 1.3.3 on Windows XP Unstable

Paragon lr at pcorp.us
Thu Aug 14 15:46:05 PDT 2008

Mike,

FWIW:  The unioning operations currently in PostGIS are very inefficient.

We are working on improving the union operation in PostGIS and hopefully
will have at least a first draft to show in the next release.  Most notably
porting the JTS logic for doing Cascaded Unions to PostGIS.
This from the looks of it will probably improve the union operation 10-fold
and in cases where PostGIS would just fall apart when doing large union
operations, it will complete within a reasonable time.

As Martin said, would be nice if you could post your samples, and then we
can test out with our new algorithms for doing unioning.  I've been testing
with samples here and there, but the more the merrier.

Thanks,
Regina