[postgis-users] Re: if i use postgis, is it true that i'll then have to worry about supporting only 1 database??

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Fri Feb 8 09:18:44 PST 2008

My understanding is that you *can* do "direct editing" on
SDO_GEOMETRY (if you have the appropriate licensing), but what
happens is that ArcGIS actually runs much of the SDE stack locally,
and maintains all the extra SDE cruft directly.  The net effect is
slow and not so reliable as running SDE as a server. I also am not
sure you can do anything subversive like (*gasp*) create a new table
with SDO_GEOMETRY in a 3rd party tool then hit it directly from
ArcGIS without modification or extra steps to "register" it as a
spatial "layer".

P.

Which is to say, I think the answer is (a) yes and (b) no.