[postgis-users] Topological Exceptions

Chris Hermansen chris.hermansen at timberline.ca
Tue Mar 11 11:52:37 PDT 2008

Hi Regina and others;

This is an interesting suggestion.  Basically, as a design principle I
suppose one could argue that there's no point in throwing an exception
unless there's a way to catch it.  Just another way in which SQL lets us
down...

I'm sure you're right; there appears to be no shortage of good people
out there with GPSes and ArcView making furry data for the rest of us :-)

I've had pretty good success with two approaches to getting rid of data
lint.  One is to use st_simplify() with a tolerance that's compatible
with my data resolution.  The other one that often works even better for
me is st_snaptogrid().

You could probably convince yourself that Nyquist's sampling theorem
would apply in this case, so that if your mapping process could not
distinguish data points closer than X meters apart, then you should use
X/2 as your tolerance for simplifying or snapping to a grid.