[postgis-users] Postgis License Clarification

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Tue May 6 12:32:21 PDT 2008

On 5/6/08, Debasish Sahu <debasish.sahu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am planning to create a Java based GIS application using Postgis + JDBC
> client(postgis.jar) . Can I build a commercial application ?
>
> What are the restrictions imposed by the GPL license of Postgis ?

as far as I understand, GPL has nothing against commercial
applications. Make whatever you want, and make however much money you
want. The only restriction GPL places is that *if* you were to modify
the source code of the GPL-ed application, you are required to release
the modified source code back to the community under GPL.

So, if you build yourfantasticwebsite.com with PosGIS as a backend,
knock yourself out.

However, if you modify PostGIS in order to accommodate
yourfanstasticwebsite.com, then you have to release the modified code
under GPL.

In either case, you are still free to make your commercial application
and be successful.

Of course, consult your favorite lawyer before venturing.

Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies http://www.nelson.wisc.edu/
Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) http://www.osgeo.org/