[postgis-users] Splitting a Polygon with a Linestring

Martin Davis mbdavis at refractions.net
Wed May 21 12:02:32 PDT 2008

That should work.  You may also have the problem of determining which of
the resultant polygons fell on each side of the drawn line.  The usual
way to do this would be to run some point-in-polygon queries.

It's amazing how much this use case comes in many different venues
(PostGIS, GUI tools, etc).  Some day I hope to get this into JTS/GEOS as
a provided operation, at which point this will be much easier to accomplish.