[postgis-users] asKML

Andy Anderson aanderson at amherst.edu
Tue May 27 13:20:45 PDT 2008

I've been working around one minor issue and it occurred to me that
someone here might be able to explain the rationale for its design.

I start with a shapefile of US states, which to me appears to be a set
of multipolygons, one for each state. So, for example, Hawaii is a
single multipolygon containing 27 polygons (at this scale).

I then use shp2pgsql to produce a table of polygons, and Hawaii ends
up as 27 multipolygons each containing one polygon!

Is there a good reason for this? Or do I have a misconception about
how Hawaii is being stored in the shapefile?

Thanks,

-- Andy