[postgis-users] DEM importing

jeremy pierre j.14159 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 15:24:12 PDT 2009

Hi all,

Apologies if this is an extremely newbie-ish post but here goes:

I'm working(to scratch an itch) on a library and utility in Scala to
import USGS format DEM files into PostGIS as points(probably
multipoints really).  I'm working with the CDED files from geobase.ca
at present and the quadrangle coordinates are all laid out in
arc-seconds.  The question is:  for the x and y coordinates of each
elevation point would it be better(across the board, given various
types of DEM data) to keep points as lat/long floats(convert from the
arc seconds) or stick to arc-seconds as a standard unit for importing?
 Anyone care to weigh in on this?

Again, apologies if I'm being a terrible newbie...

Jeremy