[postgis-users] CLEAN command (was:Cleaning non valid multipolygon)

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 15:42:42 PST 2009

Hi,

Recently there was an interesting thread about "Cleaning non valid
multipolygon". The goal there was to eliminate small polygons. This is
similar to ArcGIS' ELIMINATE command, see
http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?id=1398&pid=1394&topicname=Eliminate_(Coverage
).

Now, there is another command I remember from ArcGIS, called CLEAN (see
http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?TopicName=Clean%20(Coverage)).

Among other's, it (1) deletes dangling lines that are shorter than a
specified dangle length, and (2) merges coordinates within a certain
tolerance of each other.
In case, someone has already resolved this using PostGIS, I'd be interested.

-S.