[postgis-users] Pgrouting directions

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Jan 5 06:45:32 PST 2009

In the example I used below, the road segment would have had 4 points,
but regardless of the number of points, you would use:

pnt[1], pnt[2] for the calculations at the start of the segment.
pnt[numpoints-1], pnt[numpoints] for the calculations at the end of the
segment.

So in postgis you could use:

st_x(st_pointn(the_geom, 1))  or st_x(st_startpoint(the_geom))
st_y(st_pointn(the_geom, 1))  or st_y(st_startpoint(the_geom))

st_x(st_pointn(the_geom, 2))
st_y(st_pointn(the_geom, 2))

st_x(st_pointn(the_geom, st_numpoints(the_geom)-1))
st_y(st_pointn(the_geom, st_numpoints(the_geom)-1))

st_x(st_pointn(the_geom, st_numpoints(the_geom)))  or
st_x(st_endpoint(the_geom))
st_y(st_pointn(the_geom, st_numpoints(the_geom)))  or
st_y(st_endpoint(the_geom))

If you need to compute the bearing or Azimuth of the segment ends look
at this:
http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2007-November/017768.html
http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-svn/ST_Azimuth.html

-Steve