[postgis-users] import shape or sql to postgres automatically

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Mon Dec 13 04:13:44 PST 2010

zhang zhe wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know how to import sql table or shape file to postgres
> database automatically?
> What I did before is:
> I have shpe file save in C:/users
> I go to terminal in linux, and go to the directory C:/users
> C:/users shp2pgsql shapefile.shp > sqlfile.sql
> I will get sql file saved into c:/users directory. I open the sql file
> copy all the sql query. After that I open postgres database, and paste
> all the query to sql query window, and run the query. I will have new
> table appear in the dabase.
>
> Sometimes the sql table is too large, that I cannot paste them all in
> the postgres sql query window. Postgres is always get stuck because of
> the query is too large.For instance I have road dataset of whole contry,
> and it has really millions of queries. Is there any way to import shape
> file or sql table to Postgres database automatically without any manual
> work?

Assuming you have the PostgreSQL client installed on your local Windows
workstation, it sounds as if you need to pass the -f option to psql and
then use -h to connect to your linux server instead, e.g:

psql.exe -h mylinuxserver -d mydatabase -U myuser
-f c:/users/sqlfile.sql

HTH,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS