[postgis-users] Signal 11

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Dec 22 09:13:19 PST 2010

Peter,

After reading the thread from nabble, it seems people have overlook a
possible source for the error, and that would be a memory overwrite that
just happens to hitting the variable that is set/checked when you get a
SIGTERM. So without a SIGTERM, if the variable the a SIGTERM sets gets
overwritten by a bad pointer would simulate a SIGTERM without one
getting sent.

You should be able to put a watch on the variable in gdb to catch and
one doing that, then get a back trace on the calling stack to see where
it came from. So I can't give you the details on how to attach the
process and watch it because I haven't had to do it in ages, but a
little research and reading should point the way.

-Steve