[postgis-users] ST_DWithin with radius 0.000001

=?UTF-8?Q?Nicklas_Av=E9n?= nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Tue May 25 01:22:20 PDT 2010

Hallo

What you are doing with ST_Dwithin is to check if your geom and geometry have parts closer to (or exactly) 0.00001 mapunits from eachother. If you are using a meter based SRID then you are checking if they are within 0.00001 meters from eachother. So actually in this case your points can be just outside the polygon and returning true. If you want to use st_dwithin you should use 0 instead of 0.00001 . But I don't think that is any faster than ST_Intersects. The important thing in both cases is to have working spatial indexes.

put an index on geom column in my_neighbour table and analyze the table.

Create index idx_mn_geom
on my_neighbour
using gist(geom);
analyse my_neighbour;