[postgis-users] How to remotely edit a postgis db?

Maria Arias de Reyna marias at emergya.es
Tue Jan 25 23:50:55 PST 2011

El Wednesday 26 January 2011, Robert Buckley escribió:
> Hi,
>
> i have installed postgis on postgresql and everything seems to working
> fine. At the moment I uploading tables through shp2psql and this is
> working too.
>
> I would now like to edit the data from remote pcs. I have experience using
> various open source gis software e.g Jump, QGIS, svSIG, Udig etc but I
> cannot edit and commit changed through these gis systems.
>
> My system is Ubuntu 8.04.
> postgresql is version 8.3 / postgresql-8.3-postgis
>
> I installed postgis as sudo...therefore the installation folder is owned by
> root
>
> cd .. /usr/share/postgresql
> drwxr-xr-x  6 root root 4096 2011-01-25 15:22 8.3
>
> I have created a user called geoserver for gis work
>
> sudo -u postgres -i
> createuser geoserver
> createdb -E UTF8 -O geoserver gis
>

> and then created the language...
>
> createlang plpgsql gis
>

> I was following these instructions by the way.
> http://weait.com/content/build-your-own-openstreetmap-server-v1
>

> So...as far as I can see, I have a working installation of postgresql with
> postgis isntalled. I can log in to postgresql with pgadmin3 and see my gis
> db which is spatially enabled with the postgis functions. Fantastic!
>
> I uploaded a shp and even loaded it into geoserver which displayed it
> perfectly.
>
> so...Now I want to edit the data.......

It is probably a problem of postgreSQL configuration, not PostGIS. Check which
users (postgreSQL users) have rights to select, update and delete the tables
you are trying to use.

> Question:
> 1. does user geoserver have editing permission? How can I find out?

Try to connect to the database with the same user and password geoserver is
using from the IP in which geoserver is installed. If you can, geoserver can.

> 2. is postgres a user account on ubuntu or just the login name for the
> db?...When I look in my /home folder on ubuntu there is no folder there
> called postgres so I guess no!?!?

postgres is a user account on your OS, but is also a user account for
postgreSQL, which is a completely different thing.

> 3. Why can´t I just log in through any of the software mentioned above and
> edit?

Have you checked that the /etc/postgresql/*/main/pg_hba.conf file is
configured for the username, password and IP you are trying to use?

Have you checked that the /etc/postgresql/*/main/postgresql.conf file is
configured for the IP you are trying to use? The "#listen_addresses =
'localhost'" line.

--
María Arias de Reyna Domínguez
Área de Operaciones

Emergya Consultoría
Tfno: +34 954 51 75 77 / +34 607 43 74 27
Fax: +34 954 51 64 73
www.emergya.es