[postgis-users] adding columns to the geometry_columns table

Phil James borntopedal at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 25 07:33:34 PDT 2011

I think this i because the constraints from the existing table (geom type and srid) are not copied over with the data.   You need to recreate these (copy them from the CREATE TABLE sql from the "old" table).  probe_geometry_columns() will then do what it is supposed to do.

Phil

      the the public.geometry_columns table is not updated. The
      "probe_geometry_columns()" and "populate_geometry_columns"
      functions don't work on the new table, because they cannot
      determine the srid of the geometry column in the new, empty table.
      Is there another way to update the geometry_columns table?
      Alternatively, would it make sense to add a "srid"-parameter to