[postgis-users] Geocoding Issues with Route, ##-## house numbers; upgrade questions

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Jul 28 12:14:23 PDT 2011

On 7/28/2011 2:31 AM, Paragon Corporation wrote:
> Steve,
>
> Thanks.  I would be interested in this once I get to tackling street
> numbers, but battling some other issues at the moment on various other
> fronts so I'm a bit distracted and only focusing on low hanging fruit aside
> from the critical stuff I'm working on.

Regina,

No problem, when you want to tackle this let me know. I have down a lot
of work on this already. I attached a zip file with the distinct left
side patterns. These are no quite the abstract patterns I mention below
but they are useful. I can also look into generating those patterns, but
first I think we need to think the problem through.

The way I generated these format strings was to classify the numbers in
the from-to ranges and identify which part of the complex number was
varying over the length of the segment. Then saved that part as the
from-to address numbers for that range and saved the formatting to
reconstitute the whole number. This was used in my reverse geocoder and
does not exactly work for geocoding but I think a similar trick can be
devised for geocoding. This has a basic assumption that only one part
can vary otherwise I'm not sure how one would interpolate a distance
over the range. You will notice toward the end of the list that there
are two {} escape patterns which means there are two components that are
varying over the range so those are probably broken.

Anyway, give me a shout when you have time to look into this and I'm
happy to discuss it with you and see if we can work out a strategy that
will work for geocoding.

Thanks,
   -Steve