[postgis-users] Recommendations with GRASS v.generalize() on Tiger Data

Christian Guirreri christian at guirreri.com
Wed Jun 29 15:55:24 PDT 2011

Narrowed down some test to using the "Hermite" algorithm, but I'm having
some bizarre issues with it.

In the attached gif of California counties from Tiger data, from left to
right, I have the following tolerance values:
 - original
 - 1.0
 - 0.08
 - 0.01
 - 0.00001

Why do counties disappear entirely as I decrease the tolerance?

Setup is QuantumGIS with GRASS. In the Grass Tools I choose the v.generalize
function. I choose Boundary as the feature type (though I've tried checking
others and it doesn't seem to change anything). Everything else is default,
except for tolerance as notated above.

When I tested this original on only Arkansas and Mississippi, I got really
nice results. I then tried it on the entire US and had the missing counties
problem. So I tried only California, and still have the same issue.

I've tried other algorithms, but this has so far given me what I want. Any
thoughts?
 - Chris