[postgis-users] nested PostGIS query closes server connection

Yusuf Siddiqui ysiddiqui at i3.com
Mon Jan 30 15:34:35 PST 2012

Dear group,

I've been having trouble trying to do a nested PostGIS query on our system.
 The query looks something like this:

        SELECT count, geometry, ST_GeometryType(geometry)
        FROM (
            SELECT COUNT(*) AS count,

 ST_Buffer(ST_Buffer(ST_Union(ST_Buffer(ST_SimplifyPreserveTopology(geometry,
0.001), 1e-005)),.001), -.001) AS geometry
            FROM <table>
            WHERE <criteria>
              ORDER BY ST_GeoHash(geometry, 8), <other_fields>
              LIMIT <limit> OFFSET <offset>
            )
        ) AS i
        ;

This query has worked well for us numerous times, but is not working with
this particular set of geometries.  We have our <limit> set to 500000.  The
types of errors we receive look like one of these:

I have been able to run this query successfully by paring down my limit to
10000.  As I mentioned above, it has worked well for us with sizes as large
as 500000.  We are running PostGIS 1.5.3 on Postgers 9.0.4 on 64-bit Linux.

Any ideas what might be happening here?

*Yusuf Siddiqui *

*ASPRS CMS #R149-RS
Senior Solutions Engineer