[postgis-users] PostGIS Topology Pledge: completed !

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Mon Jan 30 23:55:27 PST 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:55:41PM +0000, Martin Tomko wrote:
> Excellent work strk, thanks for this!
> Could you please provide some examples how this can be used in queries? Does it speed up querying for neighbours etc.?

The focus insofar is about normalized storage. Speed you can squeeze out
but you're mostly on your own in this phase. If you understand the model
correctly you'll figure out how to build your queries in order to go faster,
and what you'd like to have in the core to speed it up further.

For nearest neighbours you'd use the same calls you would for simple
geometries but you'd be looking at edges rather than full polygons, thus
making a better use of the index.

> Also, does it support network topologies, something I could use with pgrouting or so?

Nope, this is strictly planar topology.

--strk;