[postgis-users] PostGIS 1.5.8

Lee Hachadoorian Lee.Hachadoorian+L at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 13:05:26 PST 2012

If you did OpenGeo Intro to PostGIS, does that mean you installed a
recent version of OpenGeo Suite? Assuming you did, you would have
PostGIS 2.0.x, so that's why you got that result for
postgis_full_version(). PostGIS 1.5.8 is a maintenance update for
those who are running 1.5.x and don't want to upgrade to 2.0.x.

Best,
--Lee

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Martin Feuchtwanger <feumar at shaw.ca> wrote:
> When I went through the OpenGeo Intro to PostGIS a couple of weeks ago,
> there was a suggestion (at
> http://workshops.opengeo.org/postgis-intro/creating_db.html) to issue the
> query, from pgAdmin:
>
> SELECT postgis_full_version();
>
> The results in the example included PosGIS 1.5.1 and GEOS 3.2.3 which, given
> the time lapse (2008-2012), seem quite compatible with Paul's current
> announcement.
> However, at the time, i thought i got this version number: PostGIS 2.0.1
> To check, i've just reissued the query, but i got
>
> ERROR:  function postgis_full_version() does not exist
> LINE 1: SELECT postgis_full_version();
>
> Two beginner's questions:
>
> Where might i have got "2.0.1" for PostGIS from?
> Why would i get the above error message?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Martin Feuchtwanger
>
> On 15/11/2012 11:22 AM, Paul Ramsey wrote:
>
> To go with the GEO 3.3.6 release, ... we are pleased to bring you PostGIS
> 1.5.8:

Lee Hachadoorian
Asst Professor of Geography, Dartmouth College
http://freecity.commons.gc.cuny.edu/