[postgis-users] Topological editing with OpenLayers

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Fri Jan 3 04:14:04 PST 2014

Hi all,

I have written a simple OpenLayers-application to edit a PostGIS polygon
layer: read one polygon from the server as GeoJSON, adapt it
interactively, and write it back again via GeoJSON. Points are only
moved, not created or deleted.

The polygon layer is topologically correct: all adjoining polygons share
the same points. With QGIS I can choose "topological editing", to
automatically move corresponding points from adjoining polygons. With
the GeoJSON application that is not possible: whenever I move a boundary
point of one polygon, the corresponding points on adjoining polygons
remain where they are.

Is it possible with the new topology methods in PostGIS to write the
following update procedure: whenever a changed polygon is written back
into the database, all corresponding points on neighbouring polygons
will be looked up and changed as well? I guess I would need some sort of
pointer for all boundary points to all other boundary points that share
the same location.

Jan