[postgis-users] PostgreSQL geometric data types vs GEOMETRY data type

Baris Ergun barisergun75 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 22:49:43 PST 2014

Also take a look at this post

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1023229/spatial-data-in-postgresql

And here are the postgresql spatial methods

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/functions-geometry.html

Postgis provides you more generic and complex way of declaring geospatial
objects both geometrically and geographically.

Postgresql looks like more handling operation in Eucledian Geometry. In
postgis you are using a GIS which is aware of Srids, 2d 3d and measure
geometries, rasters, topologies.....