[postgis-users] Vertica Spatial support

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sat Sep 26 06:31:21 PDT 2015

Someone mentioned this on IRC because they were trying to use PostGIS with
mindset of eventually porting to Vertica.

https://my.vertica.com/docs/7.1.x/HTML/Content/Authoring/Place/HPVerticaPlac
eLimitations.htm

What intrigued me was that Vertica has a geography type and I had thought
only PostGIS and SQL Server had that type.

Aside from that rest is all OGC compliancy stuff, of course aside from it
being a subset of what PostGIS has, the implementation looks strikingly
similar.

https://my.vertica.com/docs/7.1.x/HTML/Content/Authoring/Place/CategoriesOfS
patialFunctions.htm  (like ST_IsValidReason - that's not an OGC spatial
function, but I thought a PostGIS concoction and they have that)

Might be just because Vertica is one of Michael Stonebraker's inventions so
the similarity would naturally come from ideas borrowed from related
projects and the calling syntax would naturally behave like PostgreSQL.

Has anybody used Vertica, knows about it etc.

Thanks,
Regina
http://www.postgis.us
http://postgis.net