[postgis-users] CREATE EXTENSION postgis fails with "ERROR: could not load library "/usr/pgsql-9.5/lib/postgis-2.2.so": /usr/pgsql-9.5/lib/postgis-2.2.so: undefined symbol: GEOSClipByRect"

Matthew Baker mattbaker at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 12:25:48 PST 2016

For what it's worth, the Ubuntu/Debian install was causing this same
problem from the PostgreSQL APT repository

What was happening was when installing the postgresql-contrib package,
it was defaulting to the 9.5 version of the package, and so was
installing another instance of PostgreSQL - so versions 9.4 and 9.5 were
starting up.

So when I tried to install the postgis extension, it was giving a
similar error - I believe because it was trying to create the extension
in the 9.5 version of PG, while PGIS was installed in the 9.4 version

By forcing the version of postgresql-contrib to 9.4, it illeviated the
problem:

sudo apt-get install postgresql-9.4-postgis-2.1 pgadmin3*postgresql-contrib-9.4*

Not sure if there is an equivalent problem going on...

(I've updated the Ubuntu/Debian instructions here:)

https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/UsersWikiPostGIS21UbuntuPGSQL93Apt

-m