[postgis-users] Postgres as cache and renderer for vector tile server

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Mon Mar 21 09:34:47 PDT 2016

ISTM that map-specific tile caching solutions are mostly there to
provide things that generic HTTP caching systems don't do, like
metatiling, or guttering the map requests. If you don't need those
features, I think a generic HTTP cache in front of your web service
would be the most architecturally attractive solution, no? Stick in
squid or varnish and apply whatever cache lifetime parameters you want
at the cache level.

At the higher end, using a generic tool like varnish makes it easy to
bolt in a CDN as well. There's a cool talk about using S3 and AWS CDN
for tile caching https://vimeo.com/142215056. S3 gets more supple for
this kind of thing all the time.

ATB,