[postgis-users] Represent WiFI signal via RSSI

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue Oct 25 16:16:02 PDT 2022

Robert Dorinel Tureac <al376140 at uji.es> writes:

> Is there any way/function/method/possibility to represent the signal
> strength of a device having the attributes RSSI and latitude-longitude?

It seems obvious to have a table with a geography column and a number
for RSSI, and you store all the data points.

Your question doesn't really make sense  to me, because RSSI stands for
Received Signal Strength Indication (or very close) and *is* the signal
strength, either in some messy uncalibrated way, or these days more
typically expressed in dBm, and not really calibrated, but sort of.

If you are asking about generating a graph of signal strength expected
from an emitter in some location, I don't understand what that has to do
with postgis.

> I'm trying to achieve something like this, but with no success (yet):
> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=rssi+signal+wifi+map&atb=v342-1&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.engeniuscdn.com%2Ffaq_questions%2Fhc%2Farticle_attachments%2F360010237471%2FIn_open.jpg

Perhaps you could describe or give a real link, rather than something
inscrtuable and hence not followed.