[postgis-users] Postgis on RHEL8

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Thu Oct 12 12:14:12 PDT 2023

Scott Pasnikowski via postgis-users <postgis-users at lists.osgeo.org>
writes:

> I was just given a NEW requirement from a municipal gov customer to install postgis on a RHEL system.
> I am trying to install on RHEL8 first... but I hit the same "libhull" missing errors that I hit when trying to install on rocky9.
>
> Soo... just another pile of different errors....

Presumably the customer is running RHEL 8 because of its superior
stability and support.  What happened when you tried to use their tech
support?

> I am starting to think the path to stability if I need to use postgis
> is to just build the whole damn thing myself...

That could be.  You could build the entire prereq chain in a separate
prefix.  I work on pkgsrc, a multi-os multi-version multi-os packaging
system, and the norm is to build everything in a different prefix, like
/opt/pkg or /usr/pkg.

You could try this:

  https://pkgsrc.smartos.org/install-on-linux/

or start from:

  https://www.pkgsrc.org/

and get the sources, run a bootstrap and then try to build postgis.