[postgis-users] Stored procedures

Arthur Bazin arthurbazin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 11:53:12 PDT 2023

Hi,

That's pretty easy, take this DO :
DO

*$PROC$  DECLARE    variable_1 text;  BEGIN    my function  END$**PROC**$*
;

You can transform this into a procedure like this :
*CREATE PROCEDURE schema.function() AS*
*$**PROC*

*$  DECLARE    my_var text;  BEGIN    my function  END$**PROC**$*
*LANGUAGE PLPGSQL*
;

You can event add parameter into your procedure :
*CREATE PROCEDURE schema.function(my_var text) AS*
*$**PROC*

*$  DECLARE    my_var2 text;  BEGIN    my function  END$**PROC**$*
*LANGUAGE PLPGSQL*
;

The advantage is that you can reuse this function just by calling the
procedure, without rewriting the whole content.

So if you use your DO only one time, keep the DO.
If you expect to use it multiple times, then store it into a procedure.
To finish : function = return a value, procedure = do something without
returning anything but the two are very similar to write.

Have a nice day

Arthur Bazin