ST_OrientedEnvelope returning parallelogram

Erik Wienhold ewie at ewie.name
Fri Mar 8 13:29:33 PST 2024

On 2024-03-08 21:40 +0100, Martin Davis wrote:
> Why do you think this result is wrong?

Because I see that the resulting geometry is a parallelogram, as
reported by Ricardo.

> It's the same as the result I'm seeing, and is an oriented rectangle
> enclosing the input (apart from minor issues with numerical
> precision).

Are we seeing the same rendering?  Your PostGIS and geosop outputs are
the same as mine.  And I'm wondering where you got that rendering[1]
from that you've attached in your initial reply.  It shows a
parallelogram in blue as input and the correct oriented envelope in red
as result.  But it's not even the same parallelogram that Ricardo is
reporting.  Where did you get that input from?

I attached the rendering of the input and output geometries that I got.
The geometries look identical to what Ricardo showed.

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/postgis-users/attachments/20240308/e5c3247e/attachment.png

--
Erik