[PROJ] Use of EPSG codes in proj_create()

Oliver Eichler oliver.eichler at dspsolutions.de
Tue Apr 2 11:59:11 PDT 2019

> PROJ master (future 6.1.0) has a new proj_normalize_for_visualization()
> function that takes a pedantic-axis-order compliant PJ object (returned
> by
> proj_create_crs_to_crs()) and add the needed axis swapping to get the
> traditional GIS friendly order.

sounds promising. Will there be an example in the migration guide? Right
now this guide is pretty frustrating. It gives you a rough example of
something that does not even match the old behavior and the rest is
"find out yourself". No documentation in the headers. No obvious link to
API documentation on the web page. Yes, I found it by chance using
Google. I don't want to complain too much, but so far the migration is
more a PITA than anything else.

It would really help to have example code to restore the old complex
functions like pj_transform(). Keep in mind that you introduced quite
some pitfalls that will break the software using PROJ silently. The
moment a user uses a CRS that does it different the software will fail
leading to a bug report, a lot of investigation why it breaks, the
realization that new PROJ introduced inconsistencies (from the user's
point of view) and finally patching the software that uses PROJ over and
over again. This will be a very frustrating experience for every party
involved.

Would that be possible?

Oliver