[PROJ] some questions about the Barn Raising

Eduardo Rojas Rodríguez eduardo.rojas at soltig.net
Thu Apr 18 18:38:58 PDT 2019

Thanks Even and Nyall

interesting indeed, in Costa Rica we have a mess with the CRS and I have
worked as a consultant and trainer in several local governments and
government agencies and there is still a strong utilization of the old
Lambert systems (5456 and 5457).

Thank you for seeing this "problem" with the new CR-SIRGAS system (8908).
but as I see the problem was a bad entry in the EPSG database. If it is not
a lot of daring, can I ask you how the IOGP confirmed this problem?

Just about this is that I want to speak in the Geo For All here at the
University of Costa Rica. Many users do not even know how the software they
use is developed (it is not strictly necessary that they know it) but I
think it is necessary to teach users here in my country, so they can make
good decisions, especially in a troubled economy such as that we are, many
institutions and local governments, due to ignorance, make bad decisions
with economic repercussions that do not contribute to the development of the
country.

My goal is to clarify these issues for all conference attendees.

Nyall thanks for confirming that QGIS 3.8 is on track for the use of PROJ6
!! very good news.

however, I have a doubt, according to what I have read, "PROJ: SQLite-based
version of the EPSG database" is the one that maintains the database of the
EPSG that is used in GDAL.

How does this work in end-user software such as PostGIS and QGIS?
this database is replicated in these softwares until the implementation of a
new PROJ say PROJ6? or get a pointrelease CRS database update?

What I want to ask is: how much time or in what cycles of development in
softwares like QGIS i.e. the databases of the CRS are updated?

I know that in this commit https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/pull/1368 (25 mar
2019)
the PROJ DB was updated with the new base of the EPSG.

from here how do other softwares incorporate this update? a new version of
PROJ should be adopted as PROJ6 to include this new database. for example,
you should wait until QGIS 3.8 or PostGIS 3.0 to see the new CR-SIRGAS
system (8908). What happens with LTR versions like QGIS 3.4? Do they receive
the update of the database? or this is only available for the adoption of
PROJ6?

These are questions that I am sure the users that will attend the Geo For
All will want to know, because it is what affects them in their daily work.

-----
Eduardo Rojas Rodríguez
Analista en SIG
SOLTIG