[PROJ] Seeking clarification on PROJ support for temporal transformations

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 16:07:00 PDT 2019

I'm interested in this thread because Joel Haasdyk (from NSW Spatial
Services) will be presenting at the OGC Technical Committee in a few
weeks on the topics of Australia's experience and pain that we are
facing with time-dependent datums, misaligned maps in web mapping, need
to update OGC standards, and a bit more.

I'm helping Joel collate the list of challenges and potential solutions,
and this thread is a topic which should be on the list.

In particular, I want to question the technical implementability of
storing observation time with every single coordinate. While this is an
option for a few high precision use cases, I'd argue that the vast
majority of use cases would want to store datasets in a globally
recognised fixed epoch to facilitate interoperability.

So a dataset could store:
* Coordinates of all features, stored at a fixed epoch
* Observation date
* Point Motion Operation (PCO) used to move to fixed epoch. (PCO is new
term for transformation between epochs). This PCO hopefully can be
applied in reverse to get back to the original observation date.

So what should I capture about feasibility of implementation, and
whether it addresses real world use cases.

The last draft of the paper I'm pulling together is here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15uBX2qICODRkiHXeksT0zEy6TuysanIxuc4anV0o5F0/edit?usp=drive_web&ouid=110542442124937335472

I'm planning to put out another version at the end of the week.

Cheers, Cameron

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier