[PROJ] Seeking clarification on PROJ support for temporal transformations

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 16:28:59 PDT 2019

On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 at 09:07, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm interested in this thread because Joel Haasdyk (from NSW Spatial
> Services) will be presenting at the OGC Technical Committee in a few
> weeks on the topics of Australia's experience and pain that we are
> facing with time-dependent datums, misaligned maps in web mapping, need
> to update OGC standards, and a bit more.
>
> I'm helping Joel collate the list of challenges and potential solutions,
> and this thread is a topic which should be on the list.
>
> In particular, I want to question the technical implementability of
> storing observation time with every single coordinate. While this is an
> option for a few high precision use cases, I'd argue that the vast
> majority of use cases would want to store datasets in a globally
> recognised fixed epoch to facilitate interoperability.
>
> So a dataset could store:
> * Coordinates of all features, stored at a fixed epoch
> * Observation date

This raises an important distinction that we need to keep in mind when
epoch-based datasets become widespread -- we need to carefully present
coordinate epoch as a distinct and completely different concept vs
"observation date". While the WKT2 standard gives us a way of
representing the coordinate epoch, observation/capture date would sit
more comfortably along with other dataset metadata (eg. via
ISO19115)...

Nyall